We have grown up musing on these lines by John Keats, and how true they have proven to be. The concept of beauty may have different perceptions in different parts of the world. Still, no matter how varied the ways of perception are, they lead to one right destination, the eternal truth of beauty. In India, truth, goodness, and beauty are three strands of idealism. We take pride and admire living in a country that associates beauty with Godliness.
The soil of India has given root to a way of life rich in heritage and culture. It has given birth to mighty Queens and Kings who changed the course of the entire history. Some Queens are still remembered for the intelligence of their mind and mystique of their beauty. Imagine a time with no serums to help with skin concerns, no spas to take care of your hair, nobody butters to polish your body, a time where everything available is raw. Wouldn't it have been tougher to manage to be beautiful? But then how did the Queens like RANI PADMINI OF CHITTORGARH, MAHARANI GAYATRI DEVI OF JAIPUR, MAHARANI SITA DEVI OF KAPURTHALA, PRINCESS NOOR INAYAT KHAN, and many more managed to have such beauty that is still as enchanting as it is unsurpassable.
Worry no more! We will tell you how you can have what the royalty had. You will be surprised to know how the treasure chest of beauty you have been finding out has always been sitting hidden inside your home.
Come and sail through the ocean of beauty, exploring and unlocking the secrets of royal beauty.
SECRET INGREDIENTS UNLOCKED
1. Saffron: A royalty itself in the range of ingredients, Saffron, although a little expensive, is totally worth every penny that one spends on it. The use of Saffron dates back to the 13th century, when it was first cultivated in France. From that time onwards, it has been a popular choice for brightening and lightening the skin. Saffron helps in removing tan. It also improves the overall skin tone and gives skin a natural glow. Many Queens and other royalties were known to take baths in saffron-infused water, which would rejuvenate their skin.
Ways to use Saffron
Toner - Mix saffron with rose water until the color of saffron takes over. Using a cotton ball, dab it on your face just like any other toner you use. This will help in visibly removing the tan.
Face Pack - To lighten the skin, Soak saffron in milk overnight, mix it with sandalwood powder, blend them uniformly. Now apply this paste on the face and leave it for 15-20 minutes or until dried. Rinse it off.
2. Honey- Honey was considered to be the food of Gods in ancient India. There are a lot of manuscripts that consider honey and honey bees sacred. The golden syrup honey was used by our queens for treating minor skin ailments like burns, scars, and acne. It has antibacterial, antimicrobial, and healing properties that help in treating acne. Being a humectant, it keeps the skin moistened. When it is applied to the burns, it decreases the scarring that follows. Its application on hair make them shiny and restore the natural sheen of them.
Ways to use honey
Face Pack - To remove the impurities from your face and get out the brightened skin, make a paste by mixing honey with Malai(cream), Chandan(sandalwood), and Besan(gram flour); apply this is a pack on your face and neck. Let it dry. Rinse with lukewarm water.
Hair Conditioner - After washing your hair, apply honey from the tip to the root of your hair, let it settle for 5-10 minutes, rinse it thoroughly. This will keep your hair shiny and work as a natural conditioner.
Face Cleanser - Mix one tablespoon of honey with the same amount of jojoba oil and turmeric. Using cotton, apply it to your face. Rinse it off just after you are done with the application. The face cleanser will target the pores and clears them of any impurities that stay hidden.
For acne - Dab raw honey on areas affected with acne. Let it rest, and the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of honey will do the magic. (you can also add tea tree oil)
3. Turmeric- Being the king of Indian Spices, there would be hardly any kitchen where it is not found. With the availability of limited resources, our ancestors had the ability to use one thing for multiple purposes. Turmeric was and continues to be used as a beauty enhancer and healer. It reduces wrinkles, softens skin, and clear acne. Turmeric helps in holding on to the natural luster and radiance of the skin. It can also help in healing cracked heels. It has the bioactive compound curcumin that contributes to its healthy features. Stretch marks can
Ways to use turmeric
Face Pack- Mix turmeric, rice powder, tomato paste, and raw milk. Make a uniform paste. Apply this paste on the face and neck. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off. It will help in reducing wrinkles.
For Cracked heels- Mix turmeric and coconut oil to form a creamish paste. Apply on the affected part. Do it before going to bath for 15 minutes and see the result.
For detoxifying the body from the inside- Chew a small piece of turmeric every morning after you wake up. This will cleanse the body from within and get the body free of all the toxins.
4. Neem- A natural and homemade herbal remedy for treating infections, skin, blood et al. would be incomplete without the mention of neem. Neem is known as "arista" in Sanskrit that means a thing complete and imperishable; it is also known by other names like Indian Lilac and Azadirachta indica. Neem is considered a sacred plant in many parts of the country. There is hardly anything of the neem tree that goes wasted. From neem leaves to its flowers to its bark to its fruit, every part serves a unique and crucial purpose. Neem can treat various skin disorders and help in lengthening and strengthening hair. It can heal wounds and diminish the scars that can happen after wounds.
Ways to use Neem
Toner - To reduce acne, use neem as a face toner. Boil neem leaves in water. Then use it with the help of a cotton swab or a soft cloth.
Anti-Dandruff pack- If you are tired of dandruff, give the neem pack a try. To make a neem pack, mix 4-5 tablespoons of neem powder with water. Make a uniform paste and apply it on your scalp. Wash this off after 30-40 minutes. Not only will it help you have a dandruff-free scalp but also healthy hair.
Neem Bath- Boil neem leaves in water until they are soft. Once done, strain out the water. Take a bath with this neem infused water. The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of neem will calm your skin.
Face pack- To make an anti-acne skin mask, boil the same amounts of neem and orange peel. When they become soft, cool them and make a well ground paste. To this paste, add a little amount of honey and lemon juice. Apply this paste on the face until dry. Rinse it off.
5. Tulsi- Relative of Holy Basil, Tulsi is the Sanskrit name of Ocimum sanctum L that has secured a big name and fame in Ayurveda for more than a thousand years. It is claimed that ancient Egyptians used Tulsi leaves for treating snake bites and Scorpio stings. Covering a large array of medicinal uses, Tulsi has proven to be a successful heir of skincare. Tulsi plant is found in almost all the houses in India. In some places, it is worshipped as well. One can eat it or even apply it on the skin; both will have their own. Tulsi helps in brightening the skin tone and getting rid of acne. It also prevents dandruff and helps with an itchy scalp. In the times when there were no alternative ways to whitening teeth, tulsi was used as a brightening agent.
Ways to use Tulsi
Brightening Face Mask- Take tulsi leaves and grind them. Mix the same amount of tulsi paste and milk. Mix it thoroughly. Apply it on the face and neck. Leave for twenty minutes and let it dry. Wash it off with water.
Hair Mask- Tulsi is antibacterial, and since our scalp gets itchy because of bacterial infections. To make a hair mask for your itchy skin, grind a good amount of tulsi leaves. After grinding, add this paste to half a cup of sesame oil. Heat it for a little time, and then add methi seeds(fenugreek). When the seeds start to pop, take the heat down and dry it. After straining, apply the liquid to your scalp.
Teeth Whitening Powder - To whiten your teeth with the help of tulsi, grind tulsi into a very thin and fine powder. Now mix this powder with orange peel. Use this on teeth just like you brush them.
6. Walnut- It is believed that ancient queens ate lots and lots of walnut as it helped them retaining a youthful glow. The member of the Juglandaceae family, Walnut, has been a favorite snack for most people. Walnuts contain good fats, and they are enriched with fatty acids like omega-3. These omega-3 fats help the skin retain moisture and, as a result, look radiant and glowing. Along with radiance and glow, eating walnuts also prevents the formation of acne. You will be shocked to know that walnut, because of being anti-inflammatory, armors our skin against the scorching sun to keep us through the day. Walnut is also a very good exfoliator.
Ways to use walnut
Face Pack- Walnut and curd combine to make a mask that freshens your skin and helps fight the bigger fights like aging signs. To make walnut and curd mask, grind walnuts with the help of a blender. To this powder, add 2 tablespoons of curd. Make a uniform paste. Apply this paste on your face and neck. Let it settle for 15-20 minutes or until dried. Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Face Scrub- To make a DIY walnut scrub at home, Grind 2- 3 walnuts. After grinding, add 2 spoons of yogurt and honey. Massage this mixture on the face and neck for good 10-15 minutes. Cleanse your face with a damp and soft cloth.
And let's not forget to add walnuts to our diet, because after all, who would want to miss a thing that relieves our taste buds and skin altogether.
7. Sandalwood- A prized possession of Ayurveda, Sandalwood is an excellent ingredient when it comes to beauty and skincare. Since ancient times, our ancestors have been using it for performing various rituals. From Sandalwood derives Sandalwood essential oil that is like an elixir to skin. If you think the mesmerizing aroma of Sandalwood is enough to attract, you to use it, wait until you know about the magic it carries with itself for our skin. Sandalwood, with the presence of natural oils, helps remove the tan from your skin. It is soothing in nature and, therefore, can be applied to any burning sensation areas. It will surely help calm them. Nowadays, it is widely used in toners and packs since Sandalwood helps in tightening the pores.
Ways to use Sandalwood
Anti-Tan Face Mask- To deal with your tanning issues, a face mask with Sandalwood would be really helpful. Mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder with one tablespoon each of cucumber, curd, honey, and lemon juice. After mixing all these ingredients well, apply the paste and to your face. Wait until it dries. Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Night Oil- Mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder with coconut oil. Before sleeping every night, massage this gently on your face for some time. Leave it overnight. Wash it off the next morning.
Kudos Queens!!! You have successfully sailed through the ocean of beauty, and we are sure you had fun while exploring the secrets of royal beauty. Achieving a skin that is splendid and adoring has never been so difficult; one just needs to know the right way of doing it. And The Beauty Sailor takes pride in showing and taking you to that way.
While drinking a coffee gets you that internal boost of energy, it works exactly the same for your skin. These tiny brown beans are a powerhouse of antioxidants. Over the years caffeine benefits have given people many reasons to make it a part of their daily skincare.